Taxi Munich Online - Munich`s Places of Interest

Taxi Munich Online

Your Munich quality taxi service for city tours, excursions and sightseeing tours
Taxi Munich Online

Taxi München Online  Munich`s Places of Interest  Taxi München Online

Glyptothek Glyptothek D.Museum Alianz Arena
Glyptothek
Odeonsplatz
Deutsches Museum
Allianz Arena


We arrange your personal tour
  Starting at home, from your hotel, the airport, or after the end of a conference    our content including all important point of sightseeing    Following your requests and preferences for as long as you like    We will reach intereasting, exciting destinations even in small lanes and plazas    Nice breaks: stops for photography, shopping, viewing in more detail

Marienplatz:
Marienplatz (en: Mary's Square, i.e. St. Mary, Our Lady's Square) is a central square in the city centre of Munich, Germany. It has been the city's main square since 1158. In the Middle Ages markets and tournaments were held in this city square. Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side.

The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments, and draws millions of tourists a year. At the east side Munich's Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located. It's a gothic council hall and ballroom and tower, which have been reconstructed. The pedestrian zone between Karlsplatz and Marienplatz is a crowded area with numerous shops and restaurants.

The Mariensäule is a Marian column located on the Marienplatz in Munich, Germany. It was erected in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation during the Thirty Years' War and is topped by a golden statue of the Virgin Mary standing on a crescent moon as the Queen of Heaven, created in 1590. The figure was originally located in the Frauenkirche. Mariensäule in Munich was the first column of this type built north of the Alps and inspired erecting other Marian columns in this part of Europe. At each corner of the column's pedestal is a statue of a putto, created by Ferdinand Murmann. The four putti are each depicted fighting a different beast, symbolizing the city's overcoming of adversities: war represented by the lion, pestilence by the cockatrice, hunger or famine by the dragon and heresy by the serpent.

The Frauenkirche:
The Frauenkirche (full name Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau, "Cathedral of Our Dear Lady") is a church in the Bavarian city of Munich.
The church towers are widely visible because of local height limits. According to the narrow outcome of a local plebiscite, city administration prohibits buildings with a height exceeding 99 m in the city center. Since November 2004, this prohibition has been provisionally extended outward and as a result, no buildings may be built in the city over the aforementioned height. The south tower is open to those wishing to climb the stairs and offers a unique view of Munich and the nearby Alps.

Much of the interior was destroyed during WWII. An attraction that survived is the Teufelstritt, or Devil's Footstep, at the entrance. This is a black mark resembling a footprint, which according to legend was where the devil stood when he curiously regarded and ridiculed the 'windowless' church that Halsbach had built. (In baroque times the high altar would obscure the one window at the very end of the church visitors can spot now when standing in the entrance hall.) In another version of the legend, the devil made a deal with the builder to finance construction of the church on the condition that it contain no windows.

The clever builder, however, tricked the devil by positioning columns so that the windows were not visible from the spot where the devil stood in the foyer. When the devil discovered that he had been tricked, he could not enter the already consecrated church. The devil could only stand in the foyer and stomp his foot furiously, which left the dark footprint that remains visible in the church's entrance today. Legend also says the devil then rushed outside and manifested its evil spirit in the wind that furiously rages around the church. A second version of that part of the legend has it he - the devil - came to see the construction place riding on the wind. After having completely lost temper, he virtually "stormed" away, forgetting on the wind that continues to blow round the church till the very day the devil will come back to pick it up again!

Old Academy:
(Local Name: Alte Akademie) In the heart of the Pedestrian Zone of Munich, adjoining Michaelskirche, is the Old Academy, a large complex surrounded by four courtyards. Now occupied by the Bavarian Statistical Office, this Renaissance building was erected between 1585 and 1597 for a Jesuit college and school. After the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1773 it housed the Court Library and Archives (1774-1885), a school of painting and sculpture (hence the designation Academy) and, from 1826 to 1840, the University.
Destroyed during the Second World War it was rebuilt in 1954.

Bavaria:
The Hall of Fame above the Theresienwiese was built under King Ludwig I of Bavaria from 1843 to 1853 as a pantheon for celebrated Bavarians from the fields of politics, science and the arts. The busts are displayed inside the columned hall with its three wings that was designed by Leo von Klenze; new figures have been added since 1966, when the tradition was recommenced.
The 18.52-metre statue of Bavaria, designed by Ludwig Schwanthaler, was cast by Ferdinand von Miller, and ranked in its day as a technological masterpiece.
Inside the head is a viewing platform.

Viktualienmarkt:
The Victuals Market, only a few steps from the Marienplatz, is Munich's most popular open air market.
A walk across the "Victuals Market" can be a sensual revelation. Stalls not only offer the freshest fruits and vegetables in Munich, but traditional Bavarian Schweinshax'n and Speck, sea food, delicious cheeses from all over Europe, herbs, honey products, sushi and hand-made straw puppets are also for sale. Or would you prefer a freshly squeezed apple-carrot-ginger juice? For all those who appreciate culinary seduction of the senses, this is the perfect place to spend your lunch break, get inspired for new creations, and buy those rare and special herbs and spices that can't be found anywhere else in the region.
However, although this is its main purpose, the Victuals Market is not only a place for buying and selling : the market also hosts a number of traditional and folkloric events, such as the colorful Fasching festivities and the masked dance of the market women on Shrove Tuesday. Right next to the Victuals Market is the site of the "Schrannenhalle", built under King Maximilian I according to a French model. This was a market hall over 430 m long, where grains were sold, and which burned down in 1932.
Rebuilt with the original wrought-iron frames, the new "Schrannenhalle" was inaugurated in September 2005. Housing a market, shops, restaurants and cultural venues, the hall is a meeting place for old and young in the heart of the city.

BMW World and BMW Headquarters.
At the opening event, visitors from all over the world are invited to get an exclusive insight and first-hand experience of the various sections of the BMW World.
In addition to the Double Cone, the Technology and Design Atelier and the range of restaurants and shops it will also be possible to visit areas during the opening event which are normally restricted to customers only.
This applies especially to the heart of the BMW Welt, the Premiere. In future, this is where customers will experience the exclusive handover of their BMW.
This museum, with its distinctive architecture in the shape of a futuristic silver bowl, is among the most attractive museums in Munich.
The "time horizons" exhibition takes you on an exciting journey through technical feats of pioneering - from the historic BMW sports car through legendary prototypes, right up to futuristic study of automobiles and motorcycles. The path also takes the visitor past topical subjects like alternative propulsion methods, recycling and cooperative traffic management.

Deutsches Museum:
Sailing ships, models of atoms, windmills, space probes, diesel locomotives, industrial robots, organs, lifeboats,...this unbelievable abundance of technical achievement - and lots more - can be found in the Deutsches Museum.
A house of superlatives: it is not only one of the first scientific-technological museums in the world, but also one of the most frequently visited, and with an area of 50,000 square meters the biggest of all. The laws of nature, instruments and technological methods are presented in this Mount Olympus of knowledge on a scientifically high level, yet in an enthralling and entertaining way. Machines hum, lightning flashes through the air, telescopes zoom in on star formations.
Learning by doing - this concept enthralls around 1.3 million people every year. And has been providing visitors with a comprehensive basic understanding of science and technology for one hundred years.
Understanding that is urgently needed to get to grips with a world that is becoming more and more complex. Also part of the Deutsches Museum: the Verkehrszentrum (featuring all kinds of vehicles - from formula 1 car to bicycle) and the Flugwerft (focussing on airplanes)

English Gardens/Chinese Tower:
In 1789, after consulting the Schwetzingen court gardener Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell, Elector Carl Theodor decided to turn the hunting grounds on the River Isar into a public park. The project was begun by Benjamin Thompson (later Reichsgraf von Rumford), and continued in 1798 by Freiherr von Werneck.
With the dam by Riedl as protection against flooding, the first paths were created and trees planted, and a number of architectural features were built: in 1789 the Apollo Temple (replaced by the Stone Bench of 1838), in 1790 the Chinese Tower and the farm building, in 1791 the Military Hall (today the Rumford Hall), in 1793 an amphitheatre (no longer in existence), in 1796 the Rumford Monument and in 1803 the "Harmlos" statue at the southern entrance. 
In 1799 the Military Garden at the edge of the park was incorporated into the park together with around 100 hectares of land in the Hirschau. The lake - the Kleinhesseloher See - was created from 1800.
In 1804 Sckell was appointed Superintendent of all the Bavarian gardens and parks and moved to Munich. He produced plans and drew up a memorandum showing how the still rather unfinished grounds could be turned into an artistically designed park. The implementation of these plans continued right up until the death of Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell in 1823. In the following year, King Max I Joseph erected a monument to him by the Kleinhesseloher See. In 1837 the Monopteros was built on an artificial hill.
The English Garden is both beautifully designed and historically very important as the first public garden on the Continent, which paved the way for the further development of public green areas in towns. With its generous dimensions and constantly changing views of park architecture and landscape features, with its enclosed spaces and the play of light and shade, the English Garden is an outstanding example of a classical landscape garden.

Schloss Blutenburg:
In the 1530s, Duke Albrecht III had the "Pluedenburg" on the River Würm, around 10 kilometres away from his residence, converted into a country seat. In 1467 his successor, Duke Sigismund, abdicated in favour of his brother Albrecht IV and withdrew to Blutenburg, which he extended from 1488 with a church beautifully furnished in the late Gothic style. Duke Sigismund died at Blutenburg in 1501.
The present complex still reflects the structure of the 15th-century moated castle with its main building - where Duke Albrecht III lived with Agnes Bernauer - surrounding wall with towers and spacious outbuildings, which are dominated by the church. The palace church, furnished with late-Gothic masterpieces, is a simple building with a single nave and a choir enclosed on three sides.
The three altars by Jan Polack are among the best examples of panel painting from the late-Gothic period. The main altar, with both wings closed, shows the saints Bartholomew and Sigismund, together with the duke as patron.  When open, the left wing of the altar shows the baptism of Christ and the right wing the coronation of Mary with the Holy Trinity on the throne. The throne motif recurs in the majestic representation of the mercy seat in the central picture of the altar. The side altars - Christ as King among the saints and the Annunciation - date from 1491.
The wooden statues of the twelve Apostles and the figures of the Man of Sorrows and Our Lady of Sorrows from the last decade of the 15th century were also part of the first interior. They are the work of an unknown sculptor known as the "Master of the Blutenburg Apostles". Further items belonging to the original furnishings are the tabernacle dated 1489 and a cycle of glass paintings with coats of arms and scenes illustrating the redemption story (1497).

New Town Hall:
Built 1867 - 1909 in Flanders Gothic style; its facade, over 300 feet in length, features strikingly elaborate stone ornamentation. Its 260-foot tower with carillon is, with St. Peter's Church and the twin towers of the Cathedral, one of the most distinctive features of the city's skyline.
The town hall’s tower harbors the world famous carillon, which has existed since 1908. The figures of the carillon show parts of Munich’s history. A joust is displayed in the upper part which was arranged for the marriage of duke Wilhelm V. and Renata of Lothringen.
The lower part of the carillon shows a famous dance of Munich, the “Schäfflertanz”. It was arranged at the time of the plague (1515-1517) and has since been traditionally performed every 7th year in Munich.

Hofbräuhaus:
The Hofbräuhaus am Platzl is a beer hall in the city center of Munich, Germany. The inn originally built in 1607 by Bavarian Duke Maximilian I. It was built as an extension of the original Hofbräu brewery, but for Weissbier (wheat beer). The general public was admitted only in 1828 by then king Ludwig I. The building was completely remodeled in 1897, when the brewery moved to the suburbs. In the bombing of WW II, everything but the ground floor ("Schwemme") was destroyed; it took until 1958 to be rebuilt. On 24 February 1920 Adolf Hitler organized the first of many large publicity and propaganda events to be held at the Munich Hofbräuhaus. During this event he outlined a twenty-five point programme of ideas, which were to become the basis of the Nazi Party. The restaurant comprises most of the mentioned inn, a ballroom as well as a beer garden. Its menu features Bavarian dishes such as roast pork, knuckle of pork, and sausages such as Weisswurst. Helles is served in a Maß, along with wheat beer and wine. Though sometimes regarded as being "commercialized", it is popular among foreigners as well as locals.

New Jewish life in Munich:
In 2006 the New Main Synagogue was inaugurated at the historical date of 9/11. The solemn and uplifting ceremony was attended by 1200 guests who followed the procession carrying the silver-topped Torah scrolls through the old part of town to their final home in Sankt Jakobs Platz. Jewish leaders said the ceremony – on the 68th anniversary of the ill-famed Kristallnacht, the Night of the Broken Glass, where the Jewish Main Synagogue was destroyed on personal order of Adolf Hitler- was a palpable sign of their permanent place in the town’s community.


Taxi Munich Online offers you real limousine service for a lower price of a taxi.
Taxi Munich Online


© Taxi Munich Online. All rights reserved.
Taxi & Limousine Service Munich